Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 5 - Plum Jam

Last week I got a phone call from my mum asking if I wanted any plums and of course, given I don't really like plums I said no thanks... then I thought hang on.. I can make plum jam! So my lovely mother went and hand picked 2 shopping bags full of plums for me to make jam! I have to admit, mum did tell me what I had to do: pre-sterilise the jars, keep the windows and doors closed (why?!), make sure there is a tea towel on the bench to put jars on and of course you need to seal them with cellophane not a lid - who knew!

Another friend of mine causally mentioned last night that I should get Jam Sugar - he husband told her about it. Again, who knew! So off to Karori shops I trek to get my cellophane and Jam Sugar.

Surprisingly, it was easy to make the actual jam. Even I can't muck up add plums, add sugar and stir occasionally! I guess the proof will be in the jam if it's set! I only make three jars last night, so will head to the shops today to get some more sugar and make some more today.

I am yet to make the material covers for the tops, but see below!

The jars waiting to be sterilised

The ingredients

Sterilising the jars in oven

Dissolving the sugar over a low heat

Boiling the mixture on high


The finished product - note the tea towel


The Jam up close! check out the seals!


What do you think? Have you ever made Jam? Next time I might try Raspberry Jam! As a kid I have fond memories of mum making jams and pickles etc and I always thought it was super hard and it make truckloads but this has shown me it's not too hard (although I am sure my mum did it differently back then!) and it doesn't make 500 jars that I can't store anywhere!

Hope your week goes well with a Public Holiday to start! Mine is exciting: extra day off work then my sister arrives then we are going to Napier for a girls weekend!

Until next week

Broni


2 comments:

  1. Your Jam looks great!

    I've had success with Marmalade. My Mum bottled fruit, made jam and froze veges too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that looks delicious. Well done B!

    ReplyDelete